Crystal's World

Welcome to my world! This is where you can see my crafty projects and probably learn a little about me and my projects!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I Can't Wait to Try My New Loom!















I was inspired yesterday!!! After I felted another bag made on the Yellow Knifty Knitter Loom, I thought it was a little small. I have heard that the larger the gauge of knitting, the more it shrinks. So, I wanted a loom in a smaller gauge to try out some more felting. I knew I just couldn't wait if I ordered one online... so a-hunting for supplies I went.
First stop was Michaels to see if they had any canvas stretcher frame used by painters. I couldn't believe it - They only have prestretched canvas and frames. Now, I've never painted on canvas, but I have done some things with those frames--- and they used to sell the pieces seperately... not now. OK... so I continued searching... I found in the embroidery section some framing pieces that come in sizes from 9" to 22" (two in a package)- they are about 3/4" square. So, I bought the 22" and the 9"sizes. (Total cost after 40% off coupon- under $4.50). Then, to find some pegs... well... Michael's was a bust for that. The wooden pegs were too big, and they had no cotter pins (wasn't really expecting them) If I was going to put all this work into a loom, I didn't want to just use nails. Anyway... off to the local Ace Hardware - and I searched and searched. They had cotter pins.. but only about 40 of them- I needed 100 of them (I tought). So, I looked through all the bins and boxes to see what I could find. I found these straight wall anchors ($.03 each)they have grooves in them that I thought would be perfect for the loom pick to glide along... and some nails... So, my total cost there... Under $5.
I put the frame together and glued it... then, with a push pin I poked the holes 1/2" on center. I put the wall anchors through the nails (with some glue on them) and mounted them on the board... but I realized that the grooves on the wall anchors stuck out a little bit and I feared the edges would catch the yarn... so I needed another solution.
After some thought, I figured out a solution... a washer... but I had none- and it was 10 o'clock at night... and my glue was already drying! So, I punched holes into an old margarine lid with a regular 1/4" hole punch- pushed the nails through the middle and it covers the edge! Hopefully, this will prevent the pointed edges of the grooves from catching the yarn! Well... of course I had to take all 100 nails out and add the makeshift washers to the pegs. Long before this, I realized I had 116 holes--- so I was short 16 pegs.
This morning, I went back to Ace and got what I needed to make the rest of the pegs. When I came back from work, I sanded the wood down - rounding the edges and smoothing the joins and added the rest of pegs. Now, it's drying... and I'm anxious... I can't wait to try out my new loom... I've got some Lopi wool that is dying to be made into a handbag!!!
Wish me luck that it works well and holds up!

7 Comments:

  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Crystal said…

    Both the Patons and the Lion Brand are about as thick as the Red Heart Super Saver... I'm not familiar with Wool Bale... If you're using the KK looms, I'd guess either 2 or 3 would work, maybe a swatch is in order?
    I'm finding though that even different brands in similiar size still felt differently--- I think it's kinda like roulette!

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Crystal -

    I absolutely LOVE your creativitiy. I can't wait to see how your new loom works out. I felt like I was reading an episode of McGyver hahahahah.

    Awesome job hun!!!

    Jami in TN

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Crystal said…

    Oh Jami LOL... That is too funny!
    I liked McGyver!
    Thanks for the compliments! :-)
    ~Crystal

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was looking for cotter pins I found them in an automotive store, 100 in a box for 7.00 Canadian.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Crystal
    Your bags are just adorable, Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I have made several, but not felted. I just love them, and have given many as gifts. Thanks again for your pattern, it is definitely a TREASURE.

    Cat

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! "I" am even excited to see how this project turns out!

    Karen.garcia@ak.net
    (Karen In Alaska)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home