Crystal's World

Welcome to my world! This is where you can see my crafty projects and probably learn a little about me and my projects!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Hats #1


So what 'Knifty Knitter' doesn't have Hats, Hats and more Hats?? So, this is the first posting of hats... I'm sure there will be more!

All hats (except the lavendar one) have been done with two strands.
1. The Beige hat was made on the yellow loom with TLC yarn... oooh sooo soft! E-wrap stitch, brim and gathered top.
2. The Light Blue one was done with a fuzzy baby type yarn (it was a hand-me-down from my mom) I have no idea what brand. Yellow loom, E-wrap stitch, no brim, gathered top.
3. The Brown Stripey one was done with 1 strand brown and one strand varigated yarn, (again, hand-me-down yarn, but I think it's Red Heart Super Saver). I love the stripes it created... This one is for Sandi (I didn't forget you!). Yellow loom, E-wrap stitch, brim, and gathered top.
4. The lavendar one is done with the flat stitch (aka True Stockinette Stitch) It was done with some really soft (but really thin) fuzzy acrylic yarn, from Target's One Spot. (OK, it was on clearance for 25 cents each) The hat took 4 skeins. I just couldn't knit this yarn on needles - it was too slippery and soft and it got lost when combined with other yarns. So, I tried something fun - First I used the Embellish-Knit to make all the yarn into I-cord. So fun and fast on that thing!! Then, I used the I-cord to make the hat. It was made on the Green loom - but because the I-cord has stretch and I used the flat stitch... it came out tiny. It's very thick and sooo soft. But, it only fits the dollies and not the daughter it was intended for! Green Loom, Flat stitch, brim, gathered top.
5. The Black/Grey hat was intended to be be a slipper for my son. Done on the blue KK loom, I started the toe with the same method as the flat bottom bag. I used JoAnn's Rainbow Boucle yarn. It made a nice toe (now top of hat) but the slipper was too big for him, so I decided to just make it into a hat. It's very soft and will keep a little head warm! Blue Loom, E-wrap, no brim, rounded top.

There you have my hats so far! Well except for the dark blue one I did for my son and the other brown varigated one done on the green loom. But, I wasn't going into my son's room to get the blue hat (it's dangerous in a tween's room), and you don't want to see duplicates!

Have a Knifty Day!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, can you tell me how you decreased the stitches on the loom so as to close the top of the hat? I started with the smallest Knifty Knitter last night but the instructions, as you probably know, are not the greatest and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do after knitting a few rows. Thanks so much for your help.

    Natalie
    nahennessy@yahoo.com

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you don't decrease the stitches to close the hat. you leave one line of stitches on the loom, cut the yarn, leaving about 4 in. then you sew in a 24-in long piece of yarn through each of the loops that is on the loom, taking off the loops as you sew in the thread. once you've got the thread through all the loops and have taken them off, turn the hat inside out, then you pull the two ends of the 24-in long piece of yarn until the hat is closed and then tie into a knot. then you take the 4 in piece and knot it onto one of the ties from teh 24-inch piece. cut shorter if necessary. turn right side in & you're done!!

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i noticed i said "thread" in the last post, but i meant to say "yarn"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home